You are here: Home Teelin Coastguard Station
Teelin Coastguard station which was built in 1871 and replaced an earlier coastguard station on the site that was apparently in existence in the early 1820s it was designed by Enoch Trevor Owen (c. 1833 - 1881). Owen was an English architect working for the Board of Works in Ireland from c. 1860. Owen designed upwards of thirty coastguard stations in Ireland, mainly during the 1860s and early 1870s, including nine in County Donegal. The IRA attack started at 3.20 am on 12 June 1921. The IRA held high ground overlooking the Station and concentrated fire on the windows of the building. The Coastguard returned the fire but were unable see their attackers. About 50 men were in the attacking party and they kept up sniping fire for over an hour. One of the shots killed Coastguard William Kennington. After leaving the Coastguard Station the raiders went to Carrick, about three miles away, and commandeered the only two cars in the place. Local rumour had it that there were casualties to the raiders.
Detached gable-fronted single-bay single-storey former coastguard boathouse, built 1871, originally associated with Teelin Coastguard Station (now ruinous and not in survey). Now in use as a private boathouse. Pitched corrugated metal roof. Roughcast rendered finish over rubble stone construction with rock-faced ashlar sandstone block-and-start quoins to the corners of the front elevation (north) with dressed margins. Single segmental-headed window opening to the centre of each side elevation (east and west) having rock-faced ashlar sandstone block-and-start surrounds with dressed margins, cut stone sills; openings now blocked. Segmental-headed carriage-arch to the front elevation (north) having rock-faced ashlar sandstone block-and-start surrounds with dressed margins, and with replacement timber double-doors. Set back from road adjacent to Teelin Pier, and to the south-west of Cill Chártha/Kilcar. Remains of associated former coastguard station to the south-west (not in survey); associated slipway to the north having rubble stone construction and with cobbled decked. Former icehouse adjacent to the west.
This simple former coastguard station retains much of its early character and form despite some recent alterations. The good-quality rock-faced block-and-start surrounds to the openings and the quoins to the corners of the front elevation is a typical feature of many late Victorian wide-scale building projects in Ireland (railways, coastguards, Board of Works bridges etc.) and help lend this small-scale building a robust architectural character. The original slate covering to the roof (Lawrence photograph c. 1900) has been removed in recent years but could be re-instated, which would add to the visual appeal of this building. This structure was originally built to house the coastguard boat(s) associated with the former Teelin Coastguard Station. Source Buildings of Ireland